Friday, February 18, 2011

"The Race"

Well, I've been thinking a lot of how to encourage our children who are athletes.  They are all incredibly talented, and yet, such perfectionists.  That perfectionism seems to get in the way at times as they are so hard on themselves, and, at times, don't have a realistic view of where they are, or how God is working in and hopefully through them.  As their mom, sometimes I struggle, wanting to say the right things, encourage them, give them a pep talk, etc.  Often, I feel like I fall miserably short (hmmmm....maybe there is a link there, eh?).  

I started thinking about how one might visualize what they are doing and having the Triune God there supporting their endeavors.  While maybe terribly simplistic, this is what I came up with: 

Holly has a race this weekend.  And, I was envisioning that it was a race toward heaven.  As Holly races to  the finish line, God, the Father is standing, expectantly, excitedly, with His arms open wide, ready to scoop Holly into His arms, swing her around in a circle (like any dad does with his little girl!) and tell her what a good job she did, how proud he is of her and how very much he loves her.  At the sideline is Jesus, coaching and cheering her on; "You got this Holly!"  "You can do this!"  "You can do all things!"  He is excited too, knowing that the Holy Spirit is right there with her, encouraging her;  "We can do this...my strength is made perfect in weakness...God gets the glory!!"  The stands are full of the heavenly host, all cheering Holly and God!! 

Feel Inspired?!  I do.  This is how it is with our life, REALLY!  

Feel Challenged?!  I do.  I want to "run" my life with a childlike faith that desires to please her father, whose faith is such that it leads me and takes me the distance.  I want to impact others in a positive way that gives glory to where or to whom it belongs.  

I know I fall so short, yet, God's arms are still outstretched and he is rejoicing.  Jesus is still leading and coaching, reminding me that it's not me, it's Him.  And the Holy Spirit is there, gently reminding me, guiding my steps, redirecting me each time a stray.  So, I am encouraged.

Run the race in such a way as to win.....


P.S.  First of all, do you do P.S.'s in blogs?  I guess you do now!  Hope you don't mind Holly! :) Love you!  Also, this blog makes me extremely nervous, as I do not often post thoughts like this too many places.  But, sometimes you "just gotta"!  

3 comments:

  1. I love it!! Great analogies. You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post really shows your *daughter* heart and your relationship with Father. I'm going to share it with my daughter (the athlete).

    Bless ya

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post ! very inspiring .
    P.s.
    I love the fact you used P.s. =)

    ReplyDelete