Wednesday, February 9, 2011

worst run ever...well it would have been

Today I had the WORST RUN EVER....well it would have been, but I was inspired by my trainer, Helga, my marine type boy, and by the story of the Tortoise and the Hare and the Snail swirling around in my brain....that and given the fact that I was keeping my eyes peeled for the fairy from Pinnochio, who I know is around, due to the fact that so many of the plastic birds on metal posts that people usually put in their yards were walking around!!!  Seriously, you should see them!!!

Anyway, I ran around 1 1/4 miles and my lungs seized up.  I ended up walking 1/4 of a mile, about 3 blocks, feeling awful!!  Then, I thought, I just need to run home.  Then, I ran a little longer, wanting to make up that 1/4 of a mile.  Then, I thought Helga might tell me to run/walk the last mile, so I started out running, slowly, and lo and behold, I kept running, slowly, and made it another 1 and 1/4 miles.  Way to go Helga!!

Well, you are probably still stuck back on the

You all know the story of the Tortoise and the Hare...and that the Tortoise won and the Hare was surprised!!  Well, everyone calls it a day and moves on to the next tale.  What they don't know is that at the starting line, when the gun went off, there was also a snail.  They all thought the snail was just "there".  But really, the snail had joined in the race.  Only he was really, really SLOW.  He had spent all winter snug in his shell, trying to stay warm.  He hadn't worked out like he should, and he had DEFINITELY had TOO MUCH fried food while he had company!  But, he decided that there was "no time like the present" to the races.

When the gun went off, he started with the other two, but he went out too fast, and he realized he had forgotten some of his running gear, like his "shell" brace.   However, he was afraid to go back, because he knew himself, and he knew that, if he went back now, he would probably just curl up in his shell and call it a day.  So, on he ran...on and on and on...slowly, ever so slowly...he even felt ill and thought he was going to be sick.

Finally, he made it to the finish line.  There wasn't anyone there to cheer, but he didn't mind.  He hadn't run the race to have fans, but rather, to help get himself fit.  He had the sense of accomplishment and satisfaction that comes from "gutting it out".  He moved to the nearest tree, cleaned up and rested....content......

So, as Paul Harvey always said...."now you know the rest of the story"!!

1 comment: