Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Homeschooling basics...gee, schooling basics

Okay....having had some time to myself this morning, well, shopping, getting gas, running errands, I had a little time to think about what I need to "stress over" with my kids and school and life. For us, I think it boils down to just a few things really, the rest is all "fluff". So, here goes:

1. That we try to foster an ongoing personal relationship with God for each of our children. We can't control this, but we can encourage them, share the word, pray with and for them, and ultimately, depend on our loving and all powerful Father to draw them to Him. (By the way, as much as we might want this for them, He wants it ever so much more!)

2. Reading, Writing, and Arithmetic! Yep...that's it! While there are college requirements to cover, feel totally at ease just introducing those topics. I don't need them to totally comprehend them. (In fact, I don't think I will ever get the Math to physics, but, the concepts, to me are just plain "common sense" concepts.) With the 3R's I am now confident, having had children of all levels upon entering college, that they can not only get into college, or whatever trade they want, but that they can do well and exceed "expectations" as educational administrators like to say.

3. I also want them to learn to "love life", and what it brings, to enjoy learning, etc. I pray for this, I try to model it. I fail miserably sometimes, but again, I need to leave it in God's hands (although sometimes, being a control freak, that it hard).

Well, there it is...my morning's mind meandering.

No comments:

Post a Comment