Wednesday, September 14, 2011

My friend "Susie" or random ramblings on GPS Units

I have a friend, her name is Susie.  Well, ummmm, actually, Susie is not a person, in fact, she's not even living.  But, she comes to my rescue day after day after day after...well, I think you get the point. 

Susie is actually the voice on the GPS service we buy from Verizon.  For me, I habitually get lost, even in places I've lived and been.  Why is this?  Well, when someone is not in the car with me, I get to thinking about what I have to do next, or singing, or praying, or daydreaming or...who knows?!  When people are with me, I get distracted while talking to them, and often pass my exit, etc.  Occasionally they remind me, which is helpful!

Part of the problem is, that when I get off track, I usually decide, "Oh well, I can just turn here, and work my way to where I was going a different way."  Why oh why do I do that?!!!!  I NEVER end up the right way.  I NEVER end up turning in the right direction.  When I should be going left, I usually pick right; when I should be going right, I pick left. 

On the topic of North, South, East, and West; the only time I can pick the right way is if it is sunset or sunrise, and only if it is not cloudy.  Most of the time, I am sure roads are going a different direction than they really are.  And then here in Florida, there are lakes to drive around.  There are freeways that are marked East/West, while they are really North/South.

Okay, back to Susie.  Today, on Facebook, one of my friends commented on how everyone's GPS has been given a girl's name.  Well, I suppose that most GPS units and services use a woman's voice to communicate with us poor, directionless individuals.  Maybe the providers assume that mostly women are using the devices and would prefer to hear a woman.  However, I think a soothing male voice would be good.

I just heard a study that said that women are more likely to remember something if it is spoken in a lower voice.   I'm thinking that to James Earl Jones' voice is perfect for this sort of situation!  His voice is so much more soothing than a higher voice.  I'm thinking that it would calm the panic of those of us who are lost and trying to find our way.  I'm thinking it would keep up was yelling back at our "Susies" when she tells us either recalculating route (I get that a lot, because even with Susie, I decide on "short cuts"), or "take the next legal U turn".

Maybe we can petition for an app. from James Earl Johns......

No comments:

Post a Comment