Monday, March 12, 2012

1/2 Marathon


I completed my first 1/2 marathon yesterday.  I didn't know what to expect, but it was definitely fun, and I would like to do it again.  I went with my friend, Stacey, who is a little energizer bunny.  I quickly sent her on ahead of me.  She wanted and did have a p.r.  Such a great runner!!!  (Yes, that's you Stacey!!!)  I met some wonderful people, (tri people...they are awesome!), who I ran most of the race with.  They were encouraging and helpful.  They pulled ahead of me the last mile, but came back to make sure I made it.  Also, they had some great suggestions for my next event.

Working with a muscle injury in my back, weak knees, (one injured), braced ankles and a toe injury, I didn't know what to expect.  I used K-Tape on my back, one knee and toe.  I wore my ankle braces, knees braces and a back brace (which I don't think helped...I had it for extra support, but it didn't really stay in place).   Anyway, I didn't feel any discomfort in any of the areas I usually struggle with.  And, today, the only thing that is achy is my knee that I didn't use the tape on, but only mildly, and, of course, my muscles. :)

The tri-runners I ran with were using a trainer.  I found that quite helpful and think I would like to get one to train with.  I think it will help me focus better, especially on the days I am running alone, which is most of the time these days.  I never thought about quitting, although, I must confess, I felt like laying down on the side of the road a couple of times to take a nap, but I didn't give in. :)  I kept telling myself that this is way easier than childbirth...(what can I say, that thought motivated me!).  Holly met me there and went with me the last mile.  I knew she was walking back to find me, which helped me on mile 11.

At mile 11 on, I found my hands to have swollen!  Yikes!  I was pretty sure that was NOT normal.  When Holly found me, she agreed.  NOT NORMAL!  But, I was close to the end, and it didn't hurt.  I FINISHED!!  YAY!!!  And, my hands and feet were swollen and my skin rather reddish.  Turns out, I was probably somewhat dehydrated.  (I am still suffering from the headache!  Thank heavens for Vit. I!)
Who knew that drinking water was not enough!  (Well, it turns out, most people do.  But, I absolutely cannot swallow the gel things that people use.  I did manage at mile 4 to choke down 2 gel cubes.  At mile 8 I tried some "gu" stuff....got sick immediately....I think it must be what eating vaseline would be like...ugh!!)  So, I'm going to be working at finding something I can consume on these occasions, as well as long runs (starting with what my sister-in-law suggested.  Her husband does Ironmans, so I'm pretty sure it is a good place to start!)

A side note, I have the sweetest husband!  He sent me encouraging texts and it felt like he was right there with me.  He wanted to be on the sides, cheering, but was needed at home with other kids.  He is AMAZING!!

So, today, the day after, I am taking it easy, trying to get rid of this headache, and looking for my next 1/2!  Also, I'm looking for a 5K that maybe Dan and I, and any others of our family (Vince?, Holly?, Noel?, Joy?, Jerry?, Mom?) can do.  Then, I'm looking for a very easy Tri for at least Noel and myself.  Then, maybe another 1/2 in the fall.  This was the inaugural for the Swamphouse 1/2.  I loved that it was so close to home, really, closer than the theme parks.  I hope to do it again next year!

Having finished the race, I'm just thankful to have been able to do it.

See you next year at the swamp :)!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations!!!! Way to go!!! I always wanted to run. I am doing my walking but will take time to get my body to run.

    ReplyDelete